Saturday, August 4, 2018

Satellite rescue mission: this week in tech, 20 years ago

<a class="ql-link" href="https://books.google.com/books?id=jlIEAAAAMBAJ&amp;printsec=frontcover&amp;rview=1&amp;lr=#v=onepage&amp;q&amp;f=false" target="_blank"><em>Infoworld, August 3rd, 1998</em></a><em>.</em>

Next week is the start of annual gaming convention Quakecon, where we’re likely to see some news about Fallout 76, the latest installment in a franchise that hit its two-decade anniversary last year. Inspired by Fallout 76 coverage like this essay from my colleague Patricia Hernandez, I started replaying the original 1997 Fallout this summer, then I got sucked into a vortex of Black Isle Studios games. The upshot is that I’ve spent an embarrassing amount of the past two months clicking through isometric battles and dialog trees, and I have no idea when or how I’ll break free, so it’s fair to say the late ‘90s is on my mind a lot lately.

Unfortunately, Fallout 2 isn’t turning 20 until late September, so there’s no news on that front here....

Continue reading…

Disqus Comments