Saturday, July 28, 2018

9 new trailers you should watch this week

I finally caught the first Deadpool earlier this week on a plane back from Florida. I was worried they’d end up censoring a bunch of the movie, but it seems like most of the film made it through, with just a couple of blurred butts.

I’ve realized more and more lately that I think self-aware action films, which are able to play off the genre’s conventions, are often way more more fun and interesting than serious ones. Deadpool reminded me a lot of the two Kingsman films; they’re far from all-out comedies, but they know where to wink and nod in ways that move the story along and turn otherwise tired archetypes into entertaining roles.

To a degree, that’s something Marvel has tapped into well, too. Its films are serious, but they’re never t...

Continue reading…

Disqus Comments